The Golden Lamb Awards, aka Glammies
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
11 MARCH 2013
GOLDEN LAMB IS CROWNED
title of New Zealand’s most tender, tasty lamb has been decided at the finals
of the Beef + Lamb New Zealand Golden Lamb Awards.
Beating out over 180 entrants, Mangapoike Ltd, represented by Pat Sheriff, from Gisborne has been announced as the 2013 Glammies Grand Champion.
Their Composite lamb, processed at Silver Ferns Farm Takapau, took out the title at the final taste test, after being tasted next to 20 other finalists.
For their win, Mangapoike Ltd took home a cheque for $2000, the trophy and a magnum of Mt Difficulty 2009 Pinot Noir.
The final was judged by Iron Maidens, Sarah Walker and Sophie Pascoe, food writer Lauraine Jacobs, Beef + Lamb Ambassador Chef Darren Wright and head judge and chef, Graham Hawkes.
Hawkes noted the high level of quality this year, saying it was a step up from last year’s competition.
“After judging last year’s finals I knew I could expect top quality product, however this year’s entries raised the bar to a whole new level making it even harder to pick the winning lamb.” he says.
The other big winner on the day was Progressive Enterprises (Countdown) who took home the title of Grand Champion Retailer with their Southdown lamb.
The 2013 Glammies were sponsored by Zoetis and further supported by processing plants across the country. These include: AFFCO, Alliance Group Ltd, Ashburton Meat Processors Ltd, Auckland Meat Processors/Wilson Hellaby, Blue Sky Meats, Cabernet Foods/Kintyre Meats, Harris Meats, Land Meat NZ, Lean Meats, Silver Fern Farms, and Taylor Preston/Ken Wilson Meats.
Full results of the 2013 Golden Lamb Awards are:
Class 1: Best of Breed - Traditional
1. Colin Lockhart, Lawrence (Romney) processed at Alliance Lorneville
2. Annie & Graham Carmichael, Matiere (Romney) processed at Taylor Preston
3. Doug & Jeannie Brown, Oamaru (Romney) processed at Alliance Smithfield
4. Ken & Sharyn McRae, Lawrence (Romney) processed at Silver Fern Farms Finegand
Class 2: Best of Breed – Crossbreed
1. William & Karen Oliver, Te Kuiti (Romney/Lamb Supreme) processed at Silver Fern Farms Takapau
2. Nick & Carron Perry, Woodville (Romney/Texel) processed at Silver Fern Farms Takapau
3. Dawn & David Sangster, Ranfurly (Romdale/Textra) processed at Alliance Lorneville
4. Andy & Gemma Phillips, Masterton (Romney / Suffolk/Texel) processed at Cabernet Foods/Kintyre Meats Ltd
Class 3: Best of Breed – Terminal X
1. Donald & Liz Polson, Wanganui (Highlander/Primera) processed at Silver Fern Farms Waitotara
2. Carolyn & Drew Dundass, Ranfurly (Texel X/Texel) processed at Alliance Lorneville
3. L & J Gerrard, Winton (Coopworth/Texel / Texel) processed at Silver Fern Farms Waitane
4. Craig Crawshaw, Waverley (Romney Lamb Supreme X/Lamb Supreme) processed at Silver Fern Farms Waitotara
Class 4: Best of Breed – Open
1. Patrick Sherriff, Gisborne (Composite) processed at Silver Fern Farms Takapau
2. James & Liane Crutchley, Palmerston (NZ Texel/Romney / South Dorset Down) processed at Lean Meats, Oamaru
3. Gary Fordyce, Gore (Composite) processed at Silver Fern Farms Finegand
4. William & Karen Oliver, Te Kuiti (Romney/Lamb Supreme) processed at Silver Fern Farms Takapau
5. Matt & Lynley Wyeth, Masterton (Highlander/Primera) processed at Silver Fern Farms Takapau
Class 5: Retail
1. Progressive Enterprises (Countdown), North Island (Southdown)
2. Black Rock Butchery (Nosh Food Market), Auckland (Primera)
3. Greytown Butchery, Greytown (Wairarapa Texel)
4. Athol Valley Meats, Southland (Coopworth/Romney / Texel)
For more information please contact:
Kim Doran, Communications Manager
Beef + Lamb New Zealand Inc
09 489 0879 / 021 1605 194
- Glamming up for the competition, Februrary 2013